This past weekend I happily spent with 2 dear friends whom I have quite literally grown up with. I recently read someone's comment on FB where they referred to a good friend as an "almost sister." I loved the use of that endearing term & the friends I spent the weekend with certainly fall into that category. They truly are my "almost sisters!" I have known them for most of my life & cannot imagine my life without their support, love & influence. They make me a better person, for sure! We make the time to hang out as often as we can, despite the busy-ness that life's responsibilities may throw our way. Relationships simply take work - whether they be family or friend relationships. I think of it as another aspect of my life that I must work hard at, in order to make work!
As plans were made for this gal-pal weekend, I suggested we plan our menus around a Mexican theme, because I had recently bought a magazine-like cookbook full of sumptuous & authentic Mexican cuisine ideas. Boy, did we have some fun with it. Our inside joke amoungst ourselves is that recipes are guidelines! So, we follow them mostly, but always seem to add our personal stamp too (often 'cause we forgot to buy just the perfect ingredient, or don't have quite enough, or accidentally leave something under the broiler too long, etc.). Along with cooking, eating, lounging, spending one entire day in our jammies; we simply enjoyed our time together crafting some, watching the Food Network & a few movies & watching the snow.fall.in.May - ugghh! Thankfully, that part of the weekend did not last too long.
To me, associating with family & friends is a lot like Mexican cuisine - it can be a little spicy, warm on the tongue & to the soul, & fairly easy to stir in some funky ingredients (i.e. quirky or a little eccentric personalities) to create interesting results. BUT, you end up with a dish that excites the taste buds, and leaves you craving for more. My life would be so different & probably quite boring without the splash of colour and flavour that all of my dear family AND friends add! They lift me up when I am down; they cheer me on; they are ecstatic for me when I accomplish something; they help me with a huge painting project; they give me advice; they walk with me in the morning; they go on trips with me; they laugh & cry with me, they serve me, they let me be me, Put simply, they add richness to my life that cannot begin to be tabulated. I truly am blessed! Maybe, just maybe, I am able to provide some of those things back to them also (I hope!).
Even though the "mayhem" of my life has meant I did not end up as a home economist at the local Blue Flame kitchen as originally planned; it has not stopped me from playing the part on my own time/dime. Wanna see some of what was ~made by marie~ AND my dear friends? Get your virtual bib on & napkin out & please, try not to drool....
Queso Fresco w/ Cilantro
Beef Enchiladas w/ Pico de Gallo in baking pan
Enchilada's plated
Roasted Butternut Squash & Beets
Roasted squash & beets plated as a salad
Toasted pine nuts that went on the squash & beet salad.
Chocolate-Ancho Creme' Brulee
Cinnamon meringue cookies (not necessarily mexican, but we had some egg whites we had to use up!)
Huevos Rancheros
Zucchini & Corn Tortitas
**my friend has THE coolest collection of dishes!










Wow - the dishes are cute BUT the contents look DELICIOUS!!! BTW - pretty blog site, too...
ReplyDeleteMarie my friend - you have such a way with words. I can't wait until you and Lor come up again and we can venture to a new tantalizing culture through food.
ReplyDeleteShelagh